The Zimba Women Next Wave Internship 2020
The Next Wave Internship is intended to provide an opportunity for young persons to essentially contribute to and learn from Zimba Women’s work.
Zimba Women is working to create opportunities for women to actively, safely and fairly participate in the economy by providing access to skills and training for women. They provide tools and technology platforms, business training, mentorship and networks to improve the livelihoods for women in sub-Saharan Africa.
The Zimba Women Next Wave Internship
Research shows that Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) are the engine of economic growth in Uganda and across Africa. However, the SME sector continues to grapple with a wide range of challenges including limited access to affordable finance and limited technical and business skills which has impeded their growth. It is against this backdrop that Zimba Women has developed a value proposition for Uganda’s SME sector and is thus collaborating with the Innovation Village to execute the Next Wave Project which is focusing on finding solutions to the youth employment challenge and reducing poverty in Africa through offering business development services to a wide range of women within various communities.
The next wave interns are expected to be flexible and to take part in various activities at the office and sometimes in the field. Specific tasks and responsibilities will be assigned to the interns and they will be challenged to develop their capabilities and gain experience for about 3-6 months.
Zimba women seek Mbarara and Jinja-based interns who are interested in becoming the next wave. The intended outcome of this project is to see more skilled women and youth who are able to create employment opportunities in their communities and compete for the market on a global level.
This learning experience will expose the challenges women and youth face in creating and securing employment opportunities and also present an opportunity to find solutions in an unfamiliar environment.
- All applicants must be able to speak, read and write clearly & effectively in English; Asks questions where unclear, exhibits interest in subject matter and openness in sharing information to keep people informed.
- Willing to travel frequently within Uganda.
- Works together with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; is willing to learn from others.
- Able to efficiently use Information Technology (IT) devices, particularly Computer (PC/Mac) and has previous experience of using key application software’s (or equivalent alternative software’s) such as Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint). Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks or alternative uses. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Passionate about serving communities by seeking to see things from the point of view of those we serve. Establishes a good relationship and partnership with communities and stakeholders by gaining their trust and respect.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve the quality of own work. Problem-solving and takes calculated risks on new/innovative ideas
- Has at least 1 year of experience working with community-based; not-for-profit; non-governmental organizations (NGO); Comfortable working with people from different backgrounds.
How to Apply
To apply for the Zimba Women Next wave internship, send your resume with the job title and duty station as the subject line to email@example.com
Deadline: 30th March 2020