The Youth4Policy Programme 2020 (For Emerging Public Policy Leaders)
Are you keen to pursue rigorous high-quality research through a structured public policy training, mentorship and professional development programme? Do you want to join a growing network of emerging young public policy leaders? Then Youth4Policy is for you!
The Youth4Policy Programme
The “Youth4Policy” is an initiative of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) to enhance youth participation in governance and policy formulation in Uganda. The fellowship takes on a small number of highly qualified and committed young Ugandans who analyse policy issues and develop policy alternatives from the perspective of the young generation.
The Youth4Policy fellows lead by example in the promotion of issue-based and constructive dialogue and debate, adhering to the guiding principles of tolerance and objectivity. Last year’s cohort consisted of 8 carefully selected and motivated young professionals who are passionate about policy discourses.
KAS believes that good policy researchers require exposure to the political sphere. This is why, in 2020, the Youth4Policy fellowship will be conducted as an attachment at KAS. Depending on your research topic, you will be placed either at KAS or at one of our partner organisations and offered a working space.
With provided support, you will work on your policy research but also have a chance to get to know our daily work. You are expected to commit several days per week (usually 3-5) to this work for a timeframe of several months. Exact specifications can be discussed on an individual basis. Selected fellows will be remunerated on a monthly basis for the duration of the fellowship.
Youth4Policy (Y4P) programme applicants must meet be;
- Ugandan citizens under the age of 35 years;
- Young career professionals working in the public, private and not for profit sectors with an undergraduate degree from a recognized university;
- Currently engaged as or prospective policy-makers, academics, legal professionals, social/business entrepreneurs or civil society leaders;
- Highly analytical with evidence of prior engagement in policy research and analysis;
- Astute public communicators with a solid command of written and spoken English.
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria above must submit all requirements in one document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An updated curriculum vitae (not exceeding two pages)
- Motivation letter: Briefly outline why you would like to become a Youth4Policy fellow, highlighting your motivation, leadership abilities, experience with policy work and future career aspirations. Maximum 500 words!
- Briefly outline a policy challenge (political, economic, cultural, environmental, etc.) facing Uganda and suggest what you would do to address it. (Answers should focus on the underlined question, avoid lengthy descriptions of the challenge itself). Maximum 300 Words!
Note: Only complete applications respecting the specifications will be reviewed. Please note that KAS will accept applications all throughout the year.