The MCW Young Leaders Access Program 2018
The Young Leaders Access Program is a one year program founded by Miracle Corners of the World which begins with the Young Leaders Incubator, a one-week intensive retreat which prepares youth between the ages of 18 and 26 from around the world who graduate as “Young Leaders” and commit to spending a year making a change in their communities.
MCW (Miracle Corners of the World) is a non-profit organization based in New York with a vision for communities throughout the world to achieve greater levels of education, improved health, and increased economic security. Our mission is to address communities’ pressing needs by empowering current leaders and readying leaders of tomorrow.
The Young Leaders Access Program brings together youth from all over the world, united by the goal of creating positive change in their communities. It is a one year program comprised of three components:
- The YLA Retreat
- Project Implementation
- Alumni Mentorship and Support
The Young Leaders Access Program launches with the Retreat in late July, held in New York, NY and Burlington, Vermont. It consists of three modules:
- Modern Leadership,
- Global Citizenship,
- and Local Change.
During the final phase of the retreat, Young Leaders create a unique action plan to address an issue in his/her community. Over the following year, Young Leaders implement their plans while being guided remotely through online workshops and a Mentor from the Young Leaders alumni community. Once Young Leaders have successfully completed the Young Leaders Access Program they are eligible to apply for the Alumni Ventures Fund which awards grants of up to $5,000 USD with a year of professional mentorship.
Young Leaders Must:
- Be between the ages of 18-26 years old
- Be fluent in written and spoken English
- Have access to email or another internet platform that allows consistent communication with the MCW team and mentor for the duration of the year-long program
- Demonstrate commitment to their community
- Identify an issue faced by their community they would like to address
- Commit to attending the weeklong retreat and spending the following year implementing change in their community and staying in contact with their mentor
- Be eligible for appropriate visa and travel documentation
- Submit completed application on or before January 2, 2018
The application process for Young Leaders Access Program consists of three rounds: the general application, a brief needs assessment, and an alumni interview.
Shortlist candidates will be asked to submit a brief needs assessment which will outline their community issue and potential solutions in greater detail. Candidates who complete the second round will be contacted for an interview with alumni of the program. Selected participants will be notified of their acceptance on April 2, 2018.
Young Leaders Access Program Cost
In an effort to make the program accessible to all individuals the Young Leaders Access Program MCW will cover all program costs and all flight costs for every accepted participant. This means that MCW will cover all costs during the program (July 24- August 2, 2018 ) including housing, food, travel, and any necessary supplies.
MCW does require that all participants pay for any of the ground costs including passport, visa, and in-country ground fees.*
*Not applicable for U.S. based participants.
How to Apply
The Young Leaders Access Program Application is hosted on Google Forms. This means that you must have a Gmail account to fill out the application. If you do not already have a Gmail account you can sign up for one for free.
It is required that the application is filled out in English. All letters of recommendation and your CV should also be completed in English. Any parts of the application that are not in English will not be read and the application will be considered incomplete.
The application consists of the following:
- General Information
- Essay Questions
- Resume/ CV- You must upload your resume/ CV directly to the application in PDF format
- Two Letters of Recommendation- You must upload your letters of recommendation directly into the application in PDF format
- Liability Waiver
Deadline: January 2, 2018