Young Feminist Media Fellowship 2018 (For Young Storytellers)
Are you a feminist storyteller? Do you believe in the power of stories reaching millions? Are you a budding writer, artist or videographer? Then the Young Feminist Media Fellowship opportunity is just the right thing for you!
The Young Feminist Media Fellowship is meant for young storytellers who have a passion for and commitment to telling powerful and transformative stories about young feminist activism and the creative ways in which youth organizing is happening all over the world. The fellowship is an opportunity to gain insight into global feminist issues, receive guidance and feedback from experienced feminist journalists and an opportunity for the writers to have their stories published in a publication that has a worldwide readership.
FRIDA and FBomb will be selecting two fellows who will be required to complete the fellowship in a period of three months. During the period, both fellows will be part of a hands-on learning program, in which they will have a chance to learn about young feminist issues, journalism, writing, and publishing. During this time, they will be expected to produce a total of three pieces, at least one of these should be focused specifically on the work of a FRIDA grantee partner.
FRIDA will provide the database of grantee partner contacts, the fellow can choose to write about any number of them, based on their choice, preference, and geographical location. FBomb will support the fellows in providing guidance, writing tips, mentorship and editing support during the process of the story’s production. The story will be published on FBomb as well as FRIDA’s website and will be shared extensively via social media. At this pilot stage of the fellowship, we can only support stories told in the English language, but FRIDA can help support translation to one other FRIDA language (Arabic, Russian, French, Spanish, Portuguese or Mandarin), based on the context and location of the story.
The Young Feminist Media fellow is expected to work part-time and will be paid a stipend of USD 500 USD for the three-month duration of the fellowship. As a fellow, you will be expected to decide how you’d like to utilize the stipend money in pursuit of your story.
- You are a young feminist (between the age of 18 and 30) with proven interest or activism in gender-based issues in their local, national or in international contexts.
- You are a budding writer, publisher, visual artist or videographer.
- You will have some proven experience and have some sample pieces of your previous work to demonstrate it.
- You may be based anywhere in Sub Saharan Africa, South Asia, Southeast and East Asia, the Pacific, The Middle East and North Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean and Central, Southern, Eastern Europe and Central and North Asia and willing to travel in the pursuit of the story. Previous experience in journalism, writing, blogging, sketching, designing is welcome, but not compulsory. Applicants from Western Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand are not eligible to apply for this fellowship.
- You are proficient in the English language as the writing/designing will be done in English only. (We hope in the future we could offer in a different language). Knowledge of a second language is desirable, but not essential.
- Fellows belonging to marginalized identities–trans*, intersex individuals, gender non conforming, young people of color and people with disabilities–are particularly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Deadline: 22nd April 2018