UNAOC Communications and Programme Internship 2017
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC), an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures, and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions, and polarization that militate against such a consensus. The Alliance contributes to a global movement that rejects violent extremism.
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services
UNAOC’s Secretariat is based in New York, NY. UNAOC is funded by multiple donors and supported by UNOPS.
- Contribute to the writing, editing, proofreading, production, and updating of electronic and printed materials
- Assist with design, editing, and production of graphic materials to support online and offline communications
- Assist with publishing articles, press releases, photos, graphics and multimedia elements in the UNAOC website and other digital assets
- Support communications projects as they arise, including conducting research and summarizing relevant information
- Provide general administrative support including taking meeting minutes, setting up meetings and conference calls, etc.
Eligibility for UNAOC Communications and Programme Internship
- Bachelor’s Degree graduated within three years prior to the application date of the internship
- Relevant experience in communications excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, and experience in developing different types of content for different audiences and mediums
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, and experience in developing different types of content for different audiences and mediums
- Strong graphic design and layout skills, including familiarity with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop. Proficiency in Adobe Lightroom and/or Adobe After Effects would be a plus
- Basic HTML knowledge required
- Experience with WordPress is necessary
- Experience with other Content Management Systems (e.g. Drupal) is a bonus
- Ability to work independently on a number of separate, simultaneous tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong research skills and proficiency in drawing relevant information from technical content
- Full command of Microsoft Office suite of products
- Plugged into the social media landscape
- Interested in global media and global migration
- A good understanding of the UN system and commitment to the UN mission
- Fluent in English and knowledge of another UN language(s) a plus
Contract type, level, and duration – Internship
Contract type: Internship
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 3 months
The UNAOC Communications and Programme Internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one-time travel lump sum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
How to Apply
Deadline: 31st August 2017