The Commonwealth Youth Awards 2021
Are you a young change-maker that’s creating developmental changes in society? Do not miss out on the opportunity to nominate yourself or a youth leader working on achieving the 17 SDGs in your community.
The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 53 independent and equal sovereign states and helps to strengthen governance, build inclusive institutions and promote justice and human rights. Their work helps to grow economies and boost trade, empower young people, and address threats such as climate change, debt and inequality.
The Commonwealth Youth Awards
The Commonwealth Youth Awards for Excellence in Development Work celebrate the contribution of young people to achieving global development goals.
The awards showcase the work of outstanding young people who are leading initiatives ranging from poverty alleviation to peace-building. Development work can be within any number of areas, such as skills training, arts and culture, environment protection, education, health and well-being, human rights, technology, sport, science and many more areas.
Young leaders from across the 54 Commonwealth countries can enter five regional categories:
- Europe and Canada; and
A Pan-Commonwealth panel will judge the entries based on the impact, sustainability and level of innovation.
- Judges will choose 20 finalists who will each receive a trophy, a certificate and £1,000 in cash.
- Of the 20, five regional winners will be chosen and awarded an additional £2,000.
- The finalists and regional winners will be announced during Commonwealth week in March 2021.
- There will be an overall winner who will receive the title of Commonwealth Young Person of the Year 2021, and a total cash prize of £5,000.
This year’s award includes special recognition for young people who have made outstanding efforts to tackle development challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic.
To be eligible, you must:
- be a Commonwealth citizen aged 15 to 29 years;
- have been engaged in development work for at least 12 months as a professional or volunteer; and
- show a strong track record of implementing impactful development work and contribute to one of the 17 sustainable development goals.
How to Apply
Deadline: 21st October 2020