The African Women Leadership Fund 2020
The United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and Standard Bank Group is calling on women fund managers across Africa to apply to join the African Women Leadership Fund initiative (AWLF), an innovative impact fund that will provide capital and expertise to successful candidates.
The Economic Commission for Africa and its partners, through the African Women Leadership Fund Initiative (AWLFI), aims to create a sustainable platform to accelerate the growth of women-owned and operated investment funds and companies across Africa.
The Economic Commission for Africa has partnered with the Standard Bank Group to assist with the manager selection process which involves an extensive due-diligence process.
The African Women Leadership Fund
The AWLF Initiative has been established with the aim of uplifting female-owned and managed asset management firms and providing a defined economic stimulus to achieve sustainable economic growth in Africa.
The fund, the first of its kind, aims to raise up to $1 billion over 10 years (€910 million or R19 billion) for women fund managers, who in turn will invest in high-impact businesses and projects across the continent, thus driving entrepreneurship.
Having already received some applications, the AWLF Initiative is inviting more applications from established women-owned or women-managed funds that participate in listed markets and short-term private debt.
Roll out phases
- Phase 1: AWLFI will invest in established women-owned fund management firms or in fund managers with the capability to take on segregated mandates. These Managers will operate in the listed space.
- Phase 2: In the second round of funding, the AWLFI will look to invest in existing Private Equity Funds, thus enabling the fund to hold a combination of listed and private equity investments.
- Phase 3: An incubation programme to put new women fund managers on the map.
- Established women fund managers in the listed or private market space who own, or partly own, an asset management firm
- Women professionals working in existing and established firms with suitable fund management experience (experience can be as a co-fund manager) in the listed or private market space
How to Apply
- For women-owned asset management (I am a woman who owns an investment management firm)
2. For women fund managers (I am a woman who manages an investment fund)
Deadline: 30th June 2020