The EU Sight by Side Competition 2019 (For Photographers)
Apply now to the EU Sight by side competition in search for photographers to report on inequalities in Uganda.
Uganda, a country rich in wildlife, home to different tribal heritages, diverse landscapes, is also one of the largest refugee-hosting nations in the world and, whilst growing economically, it still faces major challenges. If an image is worth a thousand words, this is a country of a million stories and contrasts. So, what is your take on inequalities in Uganda?
Today, inequalities may take many shapes and forms, so shedding light on these can be the first step to reduce them. The Africa Trust Fund is looking for two young photographers with an original perspective, good conceptual skills, and experience, to create a bigger picture of “inequalities in Uganda”.
The EU Sight by Side Competition 2019
This year, Sight by Side aims to shed light on the inequalities in Uganda and on the work of the Africa Trust Fund in this country.
One European Union (EU) and one Ugandan photographer will be selected to receive a stipend to travel together through Uganda and develop their individual photography projects.
The selected participants will also have the chance to meet the people benefiting from the Africa Trust Fund projects. Their final projects will be displayed at the European Development Days 2019, which will take place under the overall theme of “inequalities“.
- You will discover Uganda with another fellow photographer and will visit some of the Africa Trust Fund projects that are changing the lives of local and refugees in the country.
- Your work will be displayed at the European Development Days 2019 and in other locations around Europe and Uganda.
- Your work will be shared on @Europeaid social media accounts and other official communication materials of the European Commission
- You will receive a stipend worth €3500 (based in the EU) and €2800 (based in Uganda) for this project.
- You will attend the European Development Days (2019) taking place on the 18-19 June in Brussels.
- You are a European Union (EU) or Ugandan national.
- You are 21 – 35 years old and free to travel between May and June 2019.
- A passport that is valid for more than 6 months after May/June 2019.
- You are available to engage in further promotional activities, including social media, in June 2019 and able to attend the European Development Days (2019) taking place on the 18-19 June in Brussels.
- You have a good body of work and strong conceptual skills.
- You are a self-sufficient, responsible and resourceful traveler.
- You are a team-player, willing to share and enrich your experience by traveling in tandem with another photographer.
- You are a sensitive listener to people’s stories.
- You are a story-teller, both through images and through words.
- You are fluent in spoken and written English.
- You have an active social media presence and are interested in sharing your journey with your fellow photographer and others.
The Expected Results
- Your final project should include 10-12 images to be printed.
- You should have an additional 10-15 images to be kept in digital format.
- You should keep a diary of your experience in Uganda.
- You should be willing to share your experience through promotional activities, including social media.
How to Apply
- Share your narrative: What story will you tell and how will you include the Africa Trust Fund work in it? (max 700 words)
- Show what you have done before by sharing a link to your previous work.
- Tell why you are the right person for this journey. (max 300 words)
- Send a link to your Instagram account/s.
Make sure you read the Sight by Side full competition rules.
Deadline: 13th April 2019