Innovate for Impact: The Siemens Design Challenge 2020
Join the Siemens Design Challenge; a global movement to prepare, adapt and respond to the most pressing challenges in food and water.
In 2007, a couple weeks after Apple released the iPhone, Siemens set off on its own digital transformation by making its first major software acquisition. To date, the company has invested more than $10 billion to acquire and develop the Xcelerator portfolio of software, services and application development platform.
Innovate for Impact: The Siemens Design Challenge
Siemens is challenging innovators around the world, from academia to private industry, as well as at NGOs and public organizations to use technology to address the challenges of meeting the planet’s need for adequate food and clean water.
Innovate for Impact: Siemens Design Challenge brings together engineering communities focused on changing the world, and the resources of a leading, top-10 global software company that’s been addressing the needs of society for more than 170 years. They’re doing this to provide engineers with platforms to expand what’s humanly possible, creating new spaces to dream, innovate and develop solutions to drive them towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
Those who engage in this challenge will have access to the Siemens software and technologies that have already enabled its users to cut product development cycle times in half. Now in addition to speed to market, engineers can focus on speed to society, delivering the solutions needed to achieve a more equal world by 2030.
Siemens Design Challenge Tracks
- Zero Hunger Track: Design a postharvest off-grid preservation technology
- Clean Water Track: Design a very low-cost, energy-efficient, scalable technology for desalinating brackish water
- One winner/winning team will be selected for each track. The winner will receive $10,000 USD and the opportunity to meet Siemens USA CEO in person.
- The winner will be promoted across Siemens USA and Engineering for Change platforms and receive exclusive invitations to industry events.
- Anyone with an innovative solution can apply. Although it’s beneficial to have either an engineering or design background, it is not required. Every idea can make a difference.
- Product concepts may be submitted by teams or individuals.
- The submitted solution does not have to be entirely new. It can improve on existing technology.
How to Apply
Think you can drive solutions for zero hunger and clean water? Follow the link below to sign up for the Siemens Design Challenge;
Deadline: 4th May 2020