The MTN Open API Challenge 2019
Applications to the long-awaited MTN Open API Challenge are now open to interested applicants living in Uganda.
MTN Uganda recently became the first telecom company in Uganda and in the MTN Group to grant access to third-party access to its Mobile Money Access Programming Interface (API). An Open API platform enables developers and programmers to get free access to MTN mobile money proprietary software platform.
MTN Mobile Money is the most widely used mobile money platform in Uganda. Developers can now access it, create products that ease payment options and leverage the 10M of MTN clients registered on Mobile Money.
MTN Open API Challenge Theme and Categories
The theme of the MTN Open API challenge 2018 is “Digital Payments”. Participants may register to develop applications in any of the following categories:
- Transport: Apps developed in this category use digitize through MTN Mobile Money, Payments for delivery or use of local services in the transport sector.
- HORECA: Apps developed in this category will digitize through MTN Mobile Money, Payments for service delivery/consumption in Hotels, Restaurants, Bars, and Cafes.
- Distribution in FMCG: Apps developed in this category will digitize through MTN Mobile Money, Payments made within a selected FMCG (first moving consumer goods) value chain.
- The MTN Open API Challenge is open to all residents in Uganda and citizens of Uganda over the age of 18 years old.
- You should be a law-abiding citizen, or resident with no criminal record. All participants with criminal records shall be automatically disqualified.
- Teams or eligible individuals entering on behalf of organizations will be accepted with exception of teams representing MTN direct competitors in the Telcom industry.
- MTN staff are also Eligible to participate and win a prize as long as they meet the terms & conditions of participation
MTN Open API Challenge participants will automatically be considered to benefit from the MTN Open API challenge as detailed below.
- At the end of the challenge, the Apps that demonstrate the best potential according to the judges will be awarded as follows:
|Category||Best App||1st Runner-up||2nd Runner-up|
|Transport||UGX 10 Million||UGX 7 Million||UGX 5 Million|
|HORECA||UGX 10 Million||UGX 7 Million||UGX 5 Million|
|FMCG Distribution Chain||UGX 10 Million||UGX 7 Million||UGX 5 Million|
2. Seed Funding of UGX 35 Million for each of the top 2 Apps and opportunity to survey clients and refine value proposition
- To be given based on observed performance after Go live via MTN Mobile Money Integration 2 months after the challenge. The top 2 Apps will be selected by MTN based
on : Aweighted performance of Number of users, Number of transactions and Total value of transactions.
- A presentation of
3. Commercial Plan funding of UGX 35 million for each of the top 2 Apps
- To be given based on observed performance after Go live via MTN Mobile Money integration 4 months after the challenge. The top 2 Apps will be selected by MTN based
- A weighted performance of Number of users, Number of transactions and
- Total value of transactions
- A presentation of commercial plan
4. Co-branded Marketing Collaboration with MTN to the value of UGX 20 million for each of the top 2 Apps
- To be given based on observed performance after Go live via MTN Mobile Money Integration 10 months after the challenge. The top 2 Apps selected by MTN based on:
- A weighted performance on Number of users, Number of transactions and Total value of transactions, customer NPS.
- A presentation of the B-case
- The value will not be given to winners in cash but will be delivered by MTN using as found fit and relevant its Media assets to support the co-branded collaboration. The scope of the collaboration will be agreed on by both parties, and MTN will have to approve in all cases how its brand is used in the collaboration.
How to Apply
- Step 1: Click here to access the MTN Challenge Portal
- Step 2: Sign Up to create your account on the MTN Challenge Portal
- Step 3: Under Ongoing challenges, Select the “MTN Open API Challenge 2018”
- Step 4: Register to participate under any of the listed categories:
- Step 5: Start working on your App.
Deadline: 3rd February 2019