The MTN MoMo Hackathon 2019
MTN is excited to invite developers and entrepreneurs across 5 countries to participate in the MTN MoMo Hackathon.
MTN is also a leading Fintech operator and MTN Mobile Money (MoMo) is available in 14 markets across Africa. The range of solutions to close the financial services gap in the markets in which MTN operates requires partnerships with financial services providers, regulatory authorities, other mobile network operators, merchants, distributors, businesses, technology providers, entrepreneurs, and developers. It is through working with its partners that MTN is improving the economic and social well-being of millions of Africans.
In its commitment to bridge the financial inclusion gap, MTN Group has made it’s Mobile Money platform available across its footprint through the MoMo API program.
MTN MoMo Hackathon
MTN is now seeking businesses, entrepreneurs and developers across the continent to innovate around and leverage Mobile Money to accelerate financial inclusion and payment digitization.
Through the MTN MoMo Hackathon in partnership with Ericsson, they will give App developers based in Ghana, Uganda, Cote d’Ivoire, Cameroon and Zambia the opportunity to come up with innovative financial and transactional applications using the MTN mobile money (MoMo) API platform.
- 1st prize worth USD 2500, equivalent in local currency plus a trip to Sweden organised by Ericsson for one team member. (Inclusive of all applicable taxes, foreign exchange conversion rates and charges as well as transfer fees)
- 2nd prize worth USD 2000, equivalent in local currency (Inclusive of all applicable taxes, foreign exchange conversion rates and charges as well as transfer fees)
- 3rd prize worth USD 1500, equivalent in local currency (Inclusive of all applicable taxes, foreign exchange conversion rates and charges as well as transfer fees)
Rules to the Hackathon
- MTN MoMo Hackathon is based on team participation. You can have at most 4 members in your team. You can either invite your friends to form a team or you can request other teams to add you as a member. At least 2 members of your team must be located in the country you have applied from.
- It’s an online hackathon, so you can participate from anywhere.
- You are expected to come up with new and innovative ideas, any idea that has been copied from somewhere will be disqualified.
- Your hack must be developed entirely during the MTN MoMo Hackathon duration. You may use open source libraries and other freely available systems/services such as Google Maps, Facebook Connect, Twitter feeds etc., but you must comply with the relevant licences governing such libraries.
- The intellectual property in the App that you submit during the build phase belongs to you / your team.
- By participating in the MTN MoMo Hackathon, you agree to the terms and conditions that govern the challenge, as well as the terms and conditions of HackerEarth which will be facilitating the Challenge.
In order to be eligible for participation in the MTN MoMo Hackathon, each entrant must:
- be a citizen or a legal permanent resident of any of the Territories;
- be 18 (eighteen) years or older as at the commencement of the Idea Phase Period (i.e. 7 October 2019); and in the case of Participants that participate in the Challenge in Cameroon, each entrant must be 21 years or older;
- be in possession of a valid passport and in the case of Participants that participate in the Challenge in Cameroon, each entrant must be in possession of residence permit for foreign Nationals or National Identity Cards for Cameroon Nationals;
- have no criminal record – Participants with any criminal records shall be automatically disqualified;
- not, in any way, be affiliated with, or employed/contracted by an MTN competitor in the telecommunications industry;
- be willing to provide to and verify to MTN and/ or the relevant MTN OpCo their personal information including, but not limited to, full name/s and surname, identity/passport/residence permit /social security number, age, physical residential address, mobile telephone number and banking details;
- be in possession of a valid MTN Mobile Money Account or alternatively, eligible to acquire or open a valid MTN Mobile Money Account; be able to present the Idea submitted in the Idea Phase in person to the relevant MTN OpCo in the relevant Territory; and
- abide by these T&Cs;
How to Apply
For purposes of registration to participate in the hackathon, please follow the following steps:
- Step 1: Click here to Register
- Step 2: Sign-up to create your account on the Challenge Portal by following the on-screen instructions; and
- Step 3: Register to participate and fill out the required fields by following the on-screen instructions.
Deadline: 8th December 2019