The Media Challenge Fellowship Programme 2021
The Media Challenge Fellowship is intended to provide time and resources to the top applicants to engage in high intense practical meant to turn them into a multifaceted one-man-woman-army journalist.
Media Challenge Fellowship Program 2021
The Media Challenge Fellowship Program is an aggressive multimedia journalism training program awarded to the best journalism students from the Inter-University Media Challenge, a practical reporting competition in 12 universities in Uganda.
The fellowship program is part of the Media Challenge Initiative’s strategic vision of building the next generation of journalists who are not only multi-skilled but also critical participants as change agents in changing their communities and the negative African narrative.
Within the Media Mentorship Program, each fellow is connected to a professional mentor in the media industry for ongoing guidance on a yearlong program. The mentorship program will include;
- One-to-one pairing with a media mentor in mentee’s field of choice
- A community of experts the mentees can reach out to with specific questions
- Mentee-ship Workshops
- Mentor-Mentee Orientation workshop
- Networking events with an exhibition of student work
The fellowship program is based on four pillars:
- The concept of building a “one woman/man – army journalist”: a journalist with multifaceted skills and knowledge;
- Solutions journalism: reporting on solutions shown to be effective at addressing societal problems;
- Development journalism and journalism for social change: reporting on specific topics and in such a way that advances positive and equitable development within society;
- Leadership in journalism: nurturing fellows not only as skilled journalists but also as leaders in their communities and field of choice.
Please review the commitments below. Are you available and committed to fulfilling all of the fellowship requirements and time schedule of training? Please be aware that if you are not able to attend any of the fellowship dates, you will not qualify for the fellowship.
- February (reporting for the programme)
- One week in March (Wednesday-Sunday)
- One week in April (Wednesday-Sunday)
- Weekend in early May
- One week in May/June (Wednesday-Sunday
- One week in June/July –Out of Kampala Reporting trip (Wednesday-Sunday)
- Field visits to media houses (throughout – optional depending on fellow availability)
- Graduation in late July
- Reporting up to three multimedia stories on your own time
- Active participation in the mentorship program with all its requirements
How to Apply
Interested applicants for the Media Challenge Fellowship are encouraged to follow the link below to apply;
Deadline: 12th February 2021