The KAS-UMU Scholarship Programme 2019
The Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS), in collaboration with Uganda Martyrs University (UMU), announces the KAS-UMU Scholarship Programme for Bachelor and Master’s degree programmes targeted towards aspiring future leaders across a range of social, political, and economic fields.
Mission of Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS)
Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) is a German political foundation that works worldwide in more than 120 countries in the fostering of social, economic and political development. KAS employs civic education on the German and international plane to promote peace, freedom, and justice. Key concerns of KAS include supporting democracy and promoting good governance. In this line, the foundation pays special recognition to young people as key pillars for building sustainable democracy in the present and for the future. KAS is, therefore, offering opportunities for moral and material support for gifted young people to gain better qualification and skills in democracy, local governance, and human rights disciplines through local scholarships.
Mission of Uganda Martyrs University (UMU)
Uganda Martyrs University is a faith-based institution, owned by the Catholic Episcopal Conference. Its mission includes the attainment of Social Justice, educating the whole person (holistic approach) and empowering the powerless. UMU’s mission is derived from
Eligibility for KAS-UMU Scholarship Programme
- Applicants must be citizens of either Uganda or South Sudan and should not be more than 30 years for bachelors programmes, and 35 years for masters programmes;
- Applicants must have proof of academic excellence in previous levels of education;
- Applicants shall provide a motivational letter indicating why they desire to undertake the particular course; applicants holding leadership positions or portray potential for future leadership may have an added advantage;
- Current or past employment in relevant programme areas and/or engagement in the social, developmental and/or political sphere(s) may be an added advantage;
- Priority will be given to applicants with genuine financial needs;
Please note: Continuing students are eligible to apply if they fulfill the above criteria. Future students can apply for KAS-UMU Scholarship Programme even before they are admitted, but a scholarship may only be granted after confirmation of admission at UMU.
KAS is not responsible for admission to Uganda Martyrs University. This process is handled exclusively by the University.
- For successful candidates, the scholarship shall cover the cost of tuition and the residential workshops as charged by the university.
- The student is expected on his/her own or through other sources to meet the cost of transport, books, research and other expenses on the study.
- Successful candidates from South Sudan shall have the cost for international air or bus tickets to Uganda as well as their visa for the residential workshops covered under the scholarship.
- The student shall however still meet all costs of inland travel either in Uganda or South Sudan.
- A personal statement (letter of motivation) providing the following information:
- An explanation of the reason for applying for financial support from KAS-UMU Scholarship Programme.
- A statement of the applicant’s academic goals and interests.
- A description of the relevant work experience (or social-political engagements) related to the chosen programme of study.
- An outline of the applicant’s career objectives and how the study programme will help in the achievement of these goals.
- A complete and up-to-date curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages);
- Copies of relevant transcripts from schools or universities;
- Proof of admission to UMU or evidence of having applied for any of the programmes under the scholarship scheme;
- Two letters from referees (professional or academic), signed and sealed.
How to Apply
Complete KAS-UMU Scholarship Programmeapplications should be addressed to:
The Country Representative Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung and be delivered as
Either by email to email@example.com or by post to Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, P.O. Box 647, Kampala or hand delivered to Plot 51A, Prince Charles Drive, Kololo.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note: Interested candidates are encouraged to contact Uganda Martyrs University as soon as possible to seek information about admissions for the different programmes.
For information on admission to UMU, contact: The Registrar, Uganda Martyrs University, Tel: (+256) 038 410611, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on the scholarships, please contact the KAS Scholarship Contact, Ms. Rhona Rugambwa on Tel: +256-(0)393-262011/2 or by email: email@example.com
Deadline: 30th April 2019