The Digital Human Rights Lab Innovation Program 2021 (Cohort 2)
Do you have an idea, solution or approach to improve human rights work? Apply for the second cohort of the Digital Human Rights Lab Innovation Program and win a share of the total amount of UGX 60.000.000 and qualify for the following 6-month Mentorship Program.
The Digital Human Rights Lab (DHRLab) is a virtual and physical space at the intersection of human rights and digital transformation. It is an open network of actors from Ugandan civil society that seek to strengthen and promote human rights in a digitalised world. The DHRLab bundles knowledge and expertise connects organisations and engaged individuals and supports innovative ideas to utilise the potentials of digitalisation for human rights work.
The Innovation Program
The Digital Human Rights Innovation Program enters the second round. It aims to create digital solutions for Human Rights Defenders to execute their work in better, more efficient and more secure ways. In order to implement these solutions, your motivated team can apply with a digital idea to win a share of the total amount of 60.000.000 UGX and qualify for the following 6-month Mentorship Programme.
Areas of Focus
The 6 Areas of Action show the thematic areas in human rights work in Uganda in which there is a high demand for innovative digital solutions, approaches and ideas. Your idea doesn’t fit one of the 6 Areas of Action? You can still apply for the Innovation Program and propose a new Area of Action within the application form.
- Digital Inclusion: Are you working on the challenge of access to technology, stable networks and the Internet in the most remote regions of Uganda? Do you want to ensure that women or people belonging to minority groups are equally able to live digital participation? If your idea, solution or approach revolves around Digital Inclusion, this is your Area of Action.
- Capacity Building: Do you look at systems from the meta-level and want to develop cross-cutting solutions that contribute to more effective human rights work? Have you found an approach on how to develop sustainable training opportunities and financing models? Digital ideas, solutions and approaches aimed at Capacity Building fall within this Area of Action.
- Security Safety & Privacy: Are you working on a digital solution to streamline reporting structures of human rights violations? Or do you have an idea or approach that will enable Human Rights Defenders to exercise their right of assembly and association without hesitation? Everything around Safety, Security and Privacy, on- and offline falls into this Area of Action.
- Knowledge Sharing & Collaborative Learning: Are you taking up the challenge of creating digital solutions for e.g. better networking and more effective communication between Human Rights Defenders? Or did you find an innovative and easy way for Human Rights Defenders to disseminate information on? This Area of Action is all about Knowledge Sharing & Collaborative Learning among Human Rights Defenders.
- Healthcare: Are you taking up a challenge that affects the physical and mental health of Human Rights Defenders? A digital solution to improve the physical protection of Human Rights Defenders at demonstrations or digital socio-psychological support service for Human Rights Defenders are only two ideas that could fall into this category. What is your idea?
- Media on/offline: Are you working on a solution that will make it easier for Human Rights Defenders to disseminate information through traditional media channels? Or do you already have an idea or approach to preserve the freedom of expression of bloggers in social media? If you want to overcome challenges regarding Media On/Offline, this is your Area of Action.
Innovation Timeline 2.0
Design Sprint: After the Call for Ideas 10 teams get pre-selected to join the Design Sprint. You will work together with trained coaches to develop, refine and redesign your idea, solution or approach.
Pitch Event: At the Pitch Event the 10 teams present their ideas, solutions and projects. Based on common selection criteria, the jury selects 4 winning teams that will receive part of the total award money and further support in terms of a 6-month Mentorship Program. The total award money of UGX 60.000.000 is going to be divided among the teams according to their needs.
Mentorship program: In the following 6 months after the Pitch Event, experienced mentors will support the 4 winning teams according to their specific needs.
How to Apply
If you have an idea, solution or approach to improve human rights work, your team (2 – 5 people) can apply via the application form below.
Your idea can refer to one of the 6 Areas of Action or propose a new Area of Action themselves and can be submitted at any stage of development – whether you are at the idea stage or have already developed and rolled out a plan.
We highly encourage women or people belonging to minority groups to apply.
Deadline: 18th April 2021
Do you have any questions, suggestions or need further information about the Innovation Program? Please feel free to send us an e-mail: email@example.com.