Digital Lab Africa 2017 Competition for Young Africans in Multimedia
Digital Lab Africa 2017 Competition is initiated by the French Embassy and the French Institute of South Africa in partnership with DISCOP Africa, TRACE, Lagardère studios and leading companies. It targets developing projects, in need of partners and financial support, innovative projects from the perspective of form, narration, content, and technologies utilized.
The Digital Lab Africa 2017 Competition is open to anyone, professional or not, from the sector of digital content creation: artists, producers, developers, start-ups, SMEs, collectives, students or entrepreneurs, based in sub-Saharan Africa or a national of a country in this region.
The objective of Digital Lab Africa is to offer a springboard to the creators of tomorrow’s multimedia productions. The platform will allow creative multimedia projects to come to light with the support of French and Sub-Saharan African partners like Lagardère Studios, ARTE or Triggerfish Animation.
The call for projects by Digital Lab Africa focusses on five categories of multimedia productions:
- Web creation/Transmedia
- Virtual Reality
- Video Game
- Digital Music
Participants for the Digital Lab Africa platform must be residents or nationals of one of the sub-Saharan African countries: South Africa, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroun, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comores, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Digital Lab Africa 2017 Competition Benefits
The winners will take away:
- a cash prize of 3,000 euros
- an Incubation Pass for Digital Lab Africa to accompany the development phase of their project between May and December 2018
The DLA incubation Pass comprises:
- mentorship in the development of projects by the French and Sub-Saharan African partners for each of the categories (studios, producers, broadcasters, distributors)
- a period of residence in France within the partner organization and/or a digital cluster
- participation in multimedia reference events.
- All submitted projects should be set down in French or English. They should target an international audience. It is about developing projects, researching partners and financial support.
- The projects should be innovative in form, narration, content or technologies employed.
- Presentation dossier of the project (5-8 pages maximum): visual/graphics components, solutions/technological tools, scenario, target audience, budget requirements, financial plan, production schedule.
- beta version/pre-release, a video, a pilot or a demo of the project (if available)
- biography of the principle of the project/ description of the company or collective (300 words maximum)
- photo .jpeg of the applicant who is submitting the project
How to Apply
Please the above-requested documents to email@example.com
- Deadline for submissions is 25 February 2018.
- The projects will then be evaluated by the DLA selection committee based on criteria of artistic/technical quality, technological/creative innovation, and feasibility/economic potential.
- The selected projects will be announced on 25 March 2018.
- The presenters of selected projects will then participate in the finale DLA Pitch Competition. The pitches (short presentation of each project including Q&A) will take place in front of a jury consisting of French and Sub Saharan African partners and industry professionals.
- At the end of the pitch sessions, the Digital Lab Africa will announce the winning projects for each of the 5 categories.