The EU Human Rights Defenders Award 2020
The European Union Delegation to Uganda, together with the European Union Member States represented in Uganda and the Embassy of Norway invites nominations for the EU Human Rights Defenders (HRD) Award.
The EU Delegation assumes the local Presidency of the EU in Uganda. It means that they are tasked with speaking on behalf the EU in Uganda, reflecting common EU positions and spearheading EU values on Human Rights, Governance and Democracy.
The EU Human Rights Defenders Award
The EU Human Rights Defenders Award, which is now in its eighth year, is presented annually, to raise awareness of the work of Human Rights Defenders in Uganda. The award recognises and honours the achievements of an individual Human Rights Defender active in Uganda, who has made an outstanding contribution to the promotion and protection of human rights in the past year.
Individuals or organisations can nominate candidates for the EU HRD Award. Nominations from human rights organisations active in Uganda are particularly welcome. Human Rights Defenders are people who promote and protect universally recognised human rights and fundamental freedoms. These include civil and political rights, as well as economic, social and cultural rights. Human Rights Defenders also promote and protect the rights of members of minority groups.
The broad range of activities carried out by Human Rights Defenders can include the following:
- documenting and reporting human rights violations;
- seeking remedies for victims of human rights violations through the provision of legal, psychological, medical or other support;
- combating the culture of impunity which can hide systematic and repeated breaches of human rights and fundamental freedoms;
- mainstreaming a human rights culture, and transmitting information about HRDs at the national, regional and international levels;
- advocacy for the respect of human rights.
How to Apply
Nominations for the EU Human Rights Defenders Award should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org using this nomination form. Please note: The nominations should be a maximum of one page in length.
A shortlist of three candidates will be announced in mid-April and the winner will be announced at a ceremony hosted by the Embassy of Sweden in May 2020.
Deadline: 27th March 2020