The HEVA East Africa Creative Business Fund 2020
In partnership with the European Commission, and Agence Française de Développement (AFD), HEVA has opened applications to the East Africa Creative Business Fund an additional facility to the existing growth fund. This will see an additional investment of USD 380,000 go-to creative businesses that are registered and operational in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania and Ethiopia.
The HEVA East Africa Creative Business Fund
The East Africa Creative Business Fund is a patient loan facility that will be made available to successful applicants through debt investments of between USD 20,000 and USD 50,000, given for a maximum of 4 years. This fund is designed to provide financing for creative businesses to: restructure interrupted supply chains; increase production capacity; diversify offerings; increase market share; increase integration in local and regional value chains; support transition to low-touch and digital capabilities; and take advantage of new opportunities.
Key requirements for each application are:
- Your business must be registered and operational in one of the listed countries: Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Ethiopia. At least 51% of company shareholders must be citizens in any of these countries.
- Your business must be able to demonstrate a resident team (permanent or part-time). The business must have a minimum of one (1) permanent employee.
- You must have valid financial statements or audited accounts for a minimum of one (1) year.
- Your business must demonstrate that it has been operating for at least two (2) years.
- Enterprises under any of the following creative economy value chains: fashion; crafts and handmade items; furnishings and decorative home; cultural tourism; creative and cultural education; cultural food and cuisine; cultural infrastructure (spaces, equipment, platforms etc); events; digital media; film and television; photography, and music production and distribution.
- Debt investments of between USD 20,000 and USD 50,000
- East Africa Creative Business Fund beneficiaries will also be the recipients of ongoing strategic engagements to synergise with their direct cash-flow investment. This will include relevant financial modelling, legal, tax, human resource, accounting, and cash flow management support, as well as access to training and international platforms for market access.
- Through this new East Africa Creative Business Fund, as well as the active growth fund facility, HEVA aims to: build on the increasing contribution to the regional GDP by the cultural and creative industries to the region’s economy; grow dynamic, youth-led creative enterprises; increase creative business ownership, management and leadership among women, especially young women; and contribute to the growth of the East African cultural footprint in regional and international markets.
How to Apply
Follow the link below to apply for the HEVA Africa’s first creative economy finance and investment catalyst, set up to tap into the powerful potential of this sector in East Africa.
Deadline: To be communicated