Hack4FrontlineHealth 2020 (Leveraging Tech for Health)
Hack4FrontlineHealth, a hackathon by the Ugandan Academy for Health Innovation, at the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) in partnership with the Innovation Village, is seeking for innovators with a passion for developing sustainable digital solutions, leveraging technologies in the health sector.
Frontline Health Workers
Frontline health workers are trusted, knowledgeable health personnel, who belong to the communities they serve. They are well accepted and relied on by the communities and form the central pillar of effective health systems key to reducing preventable deaths and achieving universal health coverage. They are the foundation of disease intelligence essential to efforts to eliminate diseases and prevent disease outbreak. However, against such important roles and proven cost-effectiveness in achieving health outcomes, they are among the most neglected cadre of the health workforce in Africa and other parts of the world. They are poorly equipped and remain exposed to disease risks, and except in few countries, receive inadequate training, lack supervision and career development.
Hack4FrontlineHealth will challenge innovators to build solutions to support the Frontline Healthcare workers in the aspects of:
- Disease surveillance via social media and internet postings, optimized for local languages
- Networked applications to facilitate contact tracing plus automated report generation
- Electronic medical records for outbreaks
- Innovations to support real-time tracking of biological samples during sample transportation
- Affordable point-of-care diagnostics for outbreaks
- Tailored Mentorship: Selected local mentors from the health sector (Infectious Disease Institute) and IT industry (Andela and The Innovation Village) to provide hands-on support.
- Access to Investors: Access to investors at the roundtable discussion during the Health Innovation Conference.
- Funding: Winning Technology Solutions will receive support from Ministry of ICT’s National ICT Initiative Support Program Fund
Hack4FrontlineHealth is targeted towards promising Ugandan innovators that can develop solutions aligned to the following challenge theme areas:
- Disease surveillance
- Contact tracing
- Outbreak reporting
- Biological sample tracking
- Point-of-care diagnostics
How to Participate
The hackathon is slated for the 27th and 28th of March 2020 at the Innovation Village located in Ntinda. Interested applicant should follow the link below to book a slot;
Deadline: 16th March 2020