The Future of Work Accelerator Program 2020
The Innovation Village in collaboration with MasterCard Foundation is launching the Future of Work accelerator program that will support promising technology startups to increase workforce access, readiness and success.
Today job creation lies at the heart of Uganda’s development challenge. About 400,000 youths enter annually into the job market to compete for approximately 9,000 available jobs. More so, 30% of the qualified youths are unable to find jobs, and the situation is even worse for semi-skilled and unskilled youths.
The causes of unemployment in Uganda are believed to be multifaceted, ranging from low skilled workers, lack of market-ready skills to match the evolving nature of work, and inadequate investment/supply side of jobs.
The Future of Work Accelerator
The future of work offers unparalleled opportunities in the form of new technological advances and a stream of new business, upon which human capital can be leveraged to create faster job growth and inclusion outcomes in Uganda.
Through the future of work accelerator, MasterCard Foundation, in collaboration with the Innovation Village are particularly interested in;
- New streams of businesses that can create opportunities for thousands of youth
- Equipping the next generation with capabilities and market ready skills
- Technical upskilling, apprenticeships and credentialing in new industries with untapped opportunities.
- Pre-seed funding; Startups accepted into the program will be offered up to $ 25,000 in pre-seed funding.
- Free working space; As part of the program, you will be offered free working space at The Innovation Village
- Extensive one-on-one training; Startups will get intensive one-on-one business training from experienced serial entrepreneurs.
- Mentors and Networks; Connections to impact investors, business leaders, social enterprises and strategic partners.
- Peer Learning; Work alongside and learn from peer entrepreneurs around the Country.
- Continued Support; Post-accelerator support with growth strategy, ecosystem connections through the CDA network, and peer advisory.
MasterCard Foundation, in collaboration with the Innovation Village are looking for promising startups that can develop solutions aligned to the following challenge theme areas;
Readiness and traction
- The solution; the participating team should share a presentation of their proposed solution.
- The Startup; the startups should in operation for at least 1 year. This team should consist of at least 4 members with various skillsets, demonstrate added value and cohesiveness.
- Business Model; the startup should have a good idea of the business model envisaged for the solution – with a good idea of the key resources needed to grow the solution, and how they intend to monetize it.
- Innovation; the ingenuity of the solution or improvement of existing technology-based process, Solution uniqueness.
How to Apply
Interested in joining the Future of Worrk accelerator program at the Innovation Village? Follow the link below to apply.
Deadline: 31st January 2020