EU: Africa The Post Crisis Journey Hackathon 2020
EU: Africa The Post Crisis Journey is an online hackathon program for creating innovative solutions to socio-economic problems that have been further escalated by the COVID-19 pandemic, organised together with Smart Africa and supported by European Commission, African Union, Estonia Development Cooperation, Luxembourg Aid and Development, Irish Aid, Polish Aid, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and tech communities from across Africa and Europe.
EU: Africa The Post Crisis Journey
The program starts with a 72-hour online hackathon on 10-13 December 2020 and is followed by a 6-week pre-acceleration program for 25 selected teams with a goal to turn the most promising prototypes into real products and implement them on the market.
The 72-hours are mainly spent with your team working on the idea hands-on. You’ll have access to mentors and the organizing team to guide you. There are 2 checkpoints each day, where mentors see the progress the teams have made in the meantime and help when needed. The goal for each team is to have a prototype developed by the end of the hackathon, that they will present as a demo video.
To sum it up, it means intense work from the kickoff on Thursday evening until 9 AM Sunday morning when the deadline for the final video demo is. And it will all be worth it!
The program is looking to tackle challenges in the 11 areas listed below, put together in collaboration with African Union and Smart Africa, aligned with the Africa-Europe Digital Economy Partnership Report and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Education | Food security | Job Security | Vulnerable Populations | Health & Wellness | Financial Services | Big Data | Cyber Security | Digital Economy | e-Governance | Smart Cities
- The program aims to engage 10,000 passionate tech-savvy and socially conscious problem solvers, 300+ mentors and 500+ community organizations across Africa and Europe.
- You don’t need to be a developer or engineer to join – we need experts from various fields including technology, marketing, design, business, social welfare, and so on for maximum success!
- Don’t have an idea, a team or either? Don’t worry. You can either submit your idea OR register as an individual participant letting us know what your special skills and expertise are.
The program facilitates two matchmaking sessions prior to the hackathon (on November 28 and December 5) to put together teams that are composed of both African and European participants.
The best teams will get their hands on the 100 000€ prize pool and the winning teams get to join the follow-up program to turn the prototype into a working solution ready for market and worldwide success.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for the EU: Africa The Post Crisis Journey hackathon should follow the link below to register;
Deadline: 16th November 2020
- 28 November: 1st Team Formation sessions
- 5 December: 2nd Team Formation sessions
- 7 December: Announcement of the most innovative ideas joining the hackathon
- 10-13 December: 72-hour Online Hackathon
- 13 December: Finals of the hackathon
- 15 January: Post-hackathon matchmaking event to put the teams together with all the help they need to move further and bring the solution developed during the hackathon into real life
- January & February: 6-week pre-acceleration program for 25 winning teams