The British Council East Africa in Motion Grant 2019
Apply for the British Council East Africa in Motion Grant for your chance to participate, engage and explore contemporary art across East Africa.
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We were founded in 1934 and incorporated by Royal Charter in 1940.
East Africa in Motion Grant
The British Council sees mobility as movement, but also as building relationships and creating connections. They believe mobility is both travelling across national borders and also collaborating with new communities that are right around your corner.
The Mobility East Africa Travel Grant is co-produced by the British Council’s East Africa Arts programme, Culture and Development East Africa CDEA plus anonymous donors.
East Africa in Motion Grant, therefore, supports mobility for East African artists that facilitate meaningful connections to nurture, inspire and/or catalyse your work.
- The grant is accessible to artists, cultural practitioners, researchers and curators as well as Art groups/collectives and organisation looking to create new connections between the countries of Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Ethiopia, Sudan and South Sudan.
- Successful applicants will be expected to share their travel experience through the creation and distribution of a 3-minute video.
East Africa in Motion Grant offers up to the value of £1,000 per person and up to £5000 per collective/group/organization (Paid in local currency)
This fund is exclusively for East African nationals and residents looking to travel to, or within, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda or Ethiopia, Sudan and South Sudan.
How to Apply
To apply, simply produce a:
- three-minute video (preferred);
- or Click here to fill in this application form answering the following questions.
Note: when creating the video, please upload it to YouTube or Vimeo and paste the link to the video into the application form
- Where do you want to go, why, and what will you do when you’re there? (Please give details on what the opportunity is, why it’s important to you, and how it will contribute to your artistic practice).
- How will you share your journey with others? (When you arrive to your destination who will you connect with? And on return to your home how will you share the video that you create about the journey, and who will you share it with? Why do you want to make these new connections and what do you think they will lead to?)
- What are the dates for travel? (Are these dates flexible, why is it important that you travel then?)
You need to answer all three questions with their associated details for your application to be considered.
You will receive a confirmation email acknowledging receipt of your application but unfortunately, due to the high demand for this grant, we shall only contact successful applicants.