The DOK.network Africa Residency Programme 2019 (For Young African Filmmakers)
Are you a young African filmmaker looking for an international training platform to develop your new documentary film project? For the second time, DOK.fest München together with the Department of Arts and Culture of the City of Munich and the University of Television and Film Munich (HFF) offers a Residency Programme accompanied by training in story and treatment development, financing and pitching.
DOK.network Africa Residency Programme
The DOK.network Africa residency is aimed at supporting filmmakers from African countries to develop their feature-length narrative documentary film projects at the international level. Dok.network can offer two scholarships including travel costs to and from Munich, a mentoring and training programme, a monthly allowance of 1,200 Euros and accommodation in the artist-in-residence premises at the Ebenböckhaus of the City of Munich. The residency programme will last from 2nd March until 14th May 2018.
As part of the Residency, the training programme in cooperation with the University for Television and Film Munich (HFF) will include workshops and mentoring in the following areas:
- Treatment development
- Budgeting and financing
- Pitching training and the production of a pitch
The International Office of HFF will support the residents during their stay in Munich and facilitate access to university.
DOK.network invites all filmmakers (directors/authors) who
- are younger than 35 years old
- hold the citizenship of a sub-Saharan African country and primarily live and work in Africa.
- currently work on a feature-length documentary film (minimum 52 min.) which is supposed to be shot and produced in an African country
- are fluent in the English language, in both its written and spoken form
to apply for the DOK.network Africa Residency Programme.
How to Apply
In order to apply for the DOK.network Africa Residency Programme please send the following two PDF documents in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st PDF
Please fill in the application form completely (please only edit the downloaded version!)
(Please insert your first and second name in the title of the PDF file: LastName_FirstName_OnlineForm_DNA_2019)
- 2nd PDF
Please also send us your project outline as one single PDF file (max. 2 MB), covering the following aspects:
- Project title
- Synopsis (max. 4,000 characters)
- Film length (please note that we only accept projects for feature-length documentary films beginning from 52 min.)
- Visual concept (what is your intended approach and which cinematic means are you going to use? E.g. Observational / interview / essay film etc. / Told with e.g. archive material / fictionalised elements / animation etc.)
- Director’s statement (why do you want to do this film? Max. 2,000 characters)
Budget plan and financing strategy
Please insert your first and second name as well as the project title in the title of the PDF file:LastName_FirstName_ProjectTitle_DNA_2019)
Deadline: 18th November 2018