DOEN 2017 Screenwriting Labs by Maisha (Win $5,000)
Stichting DOEN will for the third year be funding the 2017 series of Screenwriting Labs in East Africa. Maisha will have 4 annual 8-day intensive programs in each of Maisha’s target countries(Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda). Fifteen scholarships will be awarded in each country.
In 8 days, the 60 selected participants (15 in each country) ,will work with internationally renowned mentors to refine their work and broaden their horizons on the film business and the art of filmmaking. The winning script will receive an award of $ 5,000 to produce their short film.
Your application for the 7th Annual Uganda Screenwriter’s Lab will only be processed if you meet the following criteria:-
- You need to fill out this application form correctly and in full. *Incomplete submissions will not be considered*
- Submit your resume and a cover letter introducing yourself and the work you have done in film.
- A motivation letter on why you want to attend the Lab. (Not more than 1 page).
- You must submit a one page synopsis of your screenplay.
- Indicate the project title on the script cover page.
- You must submit a 7 to 10 page short screenplay that has a beginning, middle and end and therefore cannot be an extract from a feature film.
- You must submit a link to a film you have written and directed.
- You must be a citizen of Uganda.
- Submit proof of citizenship by attaching a copy of your passport or national identification card.
- You must also be least 18 years of age by January 1st
Selection of Participants:
- Participants will be selected at the sole discretion of the Maisha Selection Committee.
- Applicants selected for participation will be informed via email by Tuesday 1st August, 2017 at the latest.
- There is no legal claim to participate in the Maisha Film Lab.
- Submitted screenplays cannot be previously made films.
- Strictly one project per applicant and one applicant per project.
- Materials submitted will NOT be returned.
- Only Applicants that are SHORT LISTED will be contacted (via email).
* The screenwriting labs sessions will be conducted in English. However, please note if chosen, your script can be filmed in any language of your choice.
At the end of the lab a $ 5000 dollar grant will be award to the best script. The following are the terms and conditions for the grant:-
- The Script needs to be completed and signed off by the allocated Post Lab Mentor.
- The Scriptwriter then needs to develop and submit a storyboard, a production budget and a production schedule.
- Only after these items are approved by the Maisha team will the screenwriter get the $5000 production grant to produce this film at each stage of the production.
- The Winner will also be required to sign a contract.
- The project will need to be completed within 3 months of getting the grant money and the finished film should be submitted to Maisha Film Lab within these 3 months.
Dates for Screenwriting Labs
Submission deadline: June 30th, 2017
Result date: August 1st, 2017
Screenwriting lab dates: August 21st – 28th, 2017
How to Apply
Please submit the Screenwriting Labs application requirements detailed below via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Work samples can be sent via a) We-Transfer, b) Drop-box or c) to our physical address as listed below.
Timber King Building, 2nd floor
Plot 944, Block 254, Ggaba Road
Kansanga, Kampala, Ugand