The Disability Inclusion Challenge 2019 (Win USD10,000)
Are you passionate about making Ugandan economy more inclusive of persons with disabilities? Have you come across challenges for persons with disabilities that you think could be solved by developing a new service or product, with the help of others? If so, read on this is an opportunity for you!
The Make 12.4% Work Initiative looks at triggering the private, public and development sector to open up employment opportunities and livelihoods programs to persons with disabilities. 12.4% represents the percentage of the population of Uganda that lives with a disability. Currently, the Make 12,4% Work initiative is an active network of partners from disability structures, the private sector, civil society, and government agencies.
The Disability Inclusion Challenge
In light of the Make 12.4% work mission, the Disability Inclusion Challenge aims to address persistent barriers that are experienced by persons with disabilities. In particular, Make 12.4% are looking for realistic solutions; solutions that can limit barriers to find or get a job or start a business.
They invite you to focus on three types of solutions:
- Solutions that provide access to services
- Solutions that encourage the inclusion of a specific group that have either a psycho-social or intellectual disability or those with multiple disabilities.
- Solutions that aim at building confidence into economic self reliance, by building self esteem and morale towards reducing financial dependencies.
The Disability Inclusion Challenge invites you to put forward opportunities and ideas that fit in either of those three types of solutions. They will need to be scalable and beneficial for a significant group of persons with disabilities in Uganda.
The challenge aims to:
- Facilitate ideation- and co-creation processes to come to feasible solutions/ proof of concepts and
- Co-fund the prototyping, design, and testing of products and services that can solve (a) particular barrier(s).
The purpose of the grant is to seed projects to get the co-created solution off the ground. Grant of a maximum of USD 10,000 for winning project proposals will be awarded on the basis of project plans.
The Disability Inclusion Challenge invites applications from individuals with a disability, incubators, NGO’s, social enterprises, disability networks, universities, student groups, etc
As a “solution owner” you are eligible to apply for the challenge if you answer “yes” to all the following questions:
- Do you have a passion for developing solutions for vulnerable people in Ugandan society?
- Do you have an innovative, replicable, scalable idea that can increase changes for people with disability to take part in Ugandan economy?
- Are you willing to commit to the development of this solution over the next 6 months?
- Are you willing to engage in a facilitated co-creation process, -potentially- accepting other partners to get involved?
How to Apply
To apply for the Disability Inclusion Challenge, you need to fill and submit the application form below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 25th April 2019