The 6th Continental Essay Competition by National Standards Bodies
The African Organization for Standardization is inviting students in institutions of higher learning in Africa to submit their essays on the 6th Continental Essay Competition to their respective National Standards Bodies (NSBs).
ARSO is an intergovernmental body, established by the African Union and UNECA in 1977 with the principal mandate to harmonize African Standards and conformity assessment procedures in order to reduce Technical Barriers to Trade and therefore promote intra-African and International Trade as well as enhance the industrialization of Africa.
The 6th Continental Essay Competition
The 6th Continental Essay Competition aims to have 3 categories of winners: the National, Regional and Continental.
In this regard, ARSO requested all the National Standards Bodies in Africa to organize the competition at the National level calling the various Universities /Colleges eligible for the competition.
This year’s theme is “The Role of Standardisation in winning the fight Against Corruption for sustainable Africa’s Transformation.”
Entry Rules and Conditions
- The 6th Continental Essay Competition is open to Citizens of all African Countries below the age of 35 years living in Africa and studying in a university/college recognized by the local commission for university education or equivalent body in their countries
- Length of essays: Essays should be between 1000 and 1200 words
- Presentation: Essays should be double spaced and presented in Century Gothic, size 12
- The language of essays: Essays must be submitted in English or French
- Information on the author: Authors may use up to 50 words to describe themselves. Information should include their names, course and year of study, name, town, and country in which their university is located. (N.B: this will not be part of the 1000- 1200 words)
- Contacts of authors: Authors should provide us with their postal, physical, telephone and email addresses on the first page of the essay together with the title of the essay and information on the author. Also kindly attach a copy of the Identity Card or passport and a completely filled registration form that can be obtained from Apex (www.apextrainingafrica.org) and ARSO (www.arso-oran.org)
The following essays are not eligible for this competition:
- Essays that have been shown or accepted for other competitions.
- Essays that have been published in any form.
- Essays that focus on the work of a particular person, organization or brand name.
- Number of essays to submitted: Participants are only allowed to submit one essay
There are different areas on the Role of Standardisation in winning the fight Against Corruption for sustainable Africa’s Transformation within Africa:
- Benefits of the fight Against Corruption within Africa;
- Status and challenges of Corruption within Africa;
- The Fight Against Corruption as a catalyst to Africa’s Growth for improving the quality and standards of products and services within Africa
- The Benefits to Consumers, Manufacturers and suppliers, Regulators and The government
- Specific Benefits of Anti Corruption and Anti Bribery Standards to Consumers, Manufacturers and suppliers, Regulators and The government
- A precise introduction of the essay
- Explanation of the problems in the fight against corruption through the use of standards
- General understanding of standards (Anti Corruption and Anti Bribery standards)
- General knowledge of the Status and challenges with Corruption in Africa
- How standards contribute to the Fight Against Corruption
- A clear example in the society on how Standards have been used to fight corruption within Africa or in your country
There will be two levels of winners
At Regional Level
- 1st position – USD 500, 2nd position – USD 300, 3rd position – USD 200
At Continental Level
1st position – (male and female) each USD 1000, 2nd position – USD 800, 3rd position – USD 500
In addition, the winners will be given a trip and accommodation to the next ARSO G.A (ARSO General Assembly) event that will take place in 2019 to be honored.
How to Apply
All the National Standards Bodies in Africa organize the competition at the
National level and award or give recognition to the winners as appropriate to the NSB. (Check the social media pages for your local national standards body)
Download Documents Below…
- Click Here to Download 6th Essay Competition Concept 2018/2019 English
- Click Here to Download 6th Essay Competition Concept 2018/2019 French
- Click Here to Download ARSO CACO EC Form1 2018 – Registration form (English)
- Click Here to Download ARSO CACO EC Form1 2018 – Registration form (French)
For Ugandans: Submit your essays to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Deadline:8th March 2019)
For Kenyans: Submit your essays to email@example.com. (Deadline: 15th February 2019)
Africa-wide deadline: 28th March 2019