The British Council ColabNowNow 2019 (For Young Digital Creatives)
The British Council invites young digital creatives to take part in the third edition of ColabNowNow in partnership with Maputo Fast Forward and Fak’ugesi African Digital Innovation Festivals.
The British Council is the UK’s international organization for cultural relations and educational opportunities. They are on the ground in six continents and over 100 countries, bringing international opportunity to life, every day.
ColabNowNow has been developed by the British Council as a space for the leading minds in digital art in Africa and the UK to connect, collaborate and learn from each other in a safe, supportive and enabling environment.
Do you think you have what it takes?
This year, ColabNowNow will select 11 digital artists from Africa and the UK to develop cutting edge digital artworks through collaborative artmaking and storytelling.
Applicants will apply with proposed projects which will then be developed with artistic and technical facilitators. Together they will create a collaborative exhibition to be launched at the opening of the Maputo Fast Forward festival.
- Are you a daring artist or storyteller working in a digital medium and living in Africa or the UK?
- Are you open to collaborating with other artists/storytellers?
- Do you want a chance to see your collaborative work shown across Africa, the UK and extensively online?
- Artists can include but are not limited to: visual/graphic artists, architects, technical artists, programmers/coders, music/sound artists, performers, and animators.
- Storytellers can include but are not limited to: writers, photographers, filmmakers, videographers, bloggers and vloggers.
The eligible countries include;
- East Africa: Ethiopia | Kenya | Rwanda | South Sudan | Sudan | Tanzania | Uganda
- West Africa: Ghana | Nigeria | Senegal | Sierra Leone
- Southern Africa: Botswana | Malawi | Mauritius | Mozambique | Namibia | South Africa | Zambia | Zimbabwe
- North Africa: Algeria | Egypt | Morocco | Tunisia
- United Kingdom: England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales
The selected creatives will then meet in Johannesburg at the Fak’ugesi African Digital Innovation Festival (3-8 September) where they will share their creative work with each other and the public through workshops and presentations. These days will set the groundwork for the collaborative work over the next month, where an artist and a technical facilitator will engage with the creatives online to develop the work from 9 – 31 September.
(Please Note: Facilitators have been selected from a closed call including ColabNowNow creatives from 2017 and 2018)
The creatives will then meet in Maputo, Mozambique, 2-12 October, to work collaboratively in the lead up to the opening of the ColabNowNow exhibition which coincides with the opening of the Maputo Fast Forward Festival.
The exhibition will be cataloged and digitized, allowing it to travel from November 2019 – February 2020 to East, West and North Africa, THE UK, and in its entirety online.
Benefits & Support
- Creatives will receive artistic and technical support from two facilitators, who will work with the creatives to develop complex collaborative works in both their conceptual and technical forms.
- All travel, accommodation, meals and VISA costs are covered by the British Council.
- Artists will be paid a fee of 500 GBP for their participation.
- A technical and installation budget is available for the collective use of the ColabNowNow team.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for the ColabNowNow call are encouraged to follow the link below and fill the questionnaire;
Deadline: 24th July 2019