The AIMS Structured Master’s Program 2021 (Master’s in Mathematical Sciences Scholarship)
The AIMS Structured Master’s Program runs over three semesters. The requisite skills phase of the AIMS course builds a standard core set of problem-solving skills: estimation, computation, approximation, modelling, data analysis and statistics. The elective review phase allows students to apply these skills in some of the most exciting areas of science.
Established in 2003, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is Africa’s first and largest network of centres of excellence for innovative post-graduate training in mathematical sciences. They enable Africa’s youth to shape the continent’s future through Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education, public engagement and research. AIMS have five centres of excellence in South Africa, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon and Rwanda.
The AIMS Structured Master’s Program
During the final phase of the AIMS course, students do a research project and write a scientific report under the supervision of an expert researcher on a topic of their choice. Research initiated in these projects often develops into further postgraduate research work after AIMS.
No registration fees are required for the candidates selected for the Master’s degree. Full scholarships covering tuition, accommodation, meals and travel expenses are also awarded to successful applicants.
- Classes are taught by renowned African and international teachers and supported by a team of resident tutors.
- Students and teachers cohabit in a permanent learning environment.
- A highly interactive teaching environment where students are encouraged to learn together through questions and discoveries.
- An emphasis on computing with 24-hour access to computer rooms and the internet.
- A Pan-African student body made up of at least 30% of women.
- AIMS graduates embark on outstanding graduate programs and professional careers in Africa and around the world.
- Applicants must hold or expect to obtain by the date of commencement of AIMS training a 4-year university degree in mathematics or any other science/engineering discipline with a significant mathematics component.
- Candidate records must demonstrate strong mathematics, leadership and community service skills.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for the AIMS course are encouraged to follow the link below to apply:
Deadline: 31st March 2021