The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC) Cohort 11
The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC), established in 2010, is a flagship continental Youth Leadership program that recruits train a deploys young African professionals from all 55 AU Member States to serve as professional volunteers for a period of 12 months.
African Union Youth Volunteer Corps
African Union Youth Volunteer Corps promotes volunteerism to deepen the status of young people in Africa as key actors in Africa’s development targets and goals, enhancing their participation in policy, programs and initiatives towards the realization of AU Agenda2063 – ‘The Africa We Want’.
It brings people together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated, prosperous, and peaceful Continent driven by its citizens. The concept is in line with the Decision of AU Head of States and Governments in Assembly/AU/Dec.274 (XVI) January 2010, to set up a Continental Volunteer initiative and to promote volunteerism as a means to empower young people and accelerate Africa’s development.
The next intake of volunteers for deployment in 2020/21 will be from the 01 – 31 July 2020. This year marks 10 years Anniversary of the African Union Youth Volunteer Corps Program. Special consideration will be given to youth Tasks living with a disability.
The African Union Commission and partners will cover the full costs of pre-deployment training volunteer deployment for successful candidates.
African Union Youth Volunteers will receive the following benefits & opportunities:
- Unique opportunity to interact with African Union processes and structure
- Economy return air ticket from home town to place of deployment
- A modest monthly stipend
- Health insurance cover
- AU Service Passport
- Separation allowance on successful completion of twelve months service
- Training and mentorship opportunities
Applicants for African Union Youth Volunteer Corps have to meet the following criteria:
- Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or the Diaspora;
- Aged between 18 – 35 years;
- Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s, Master’s, etc.)
- Available to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for volunteer work;
- Willing to live and work in another AU Member State;
- Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese);
- Have at least one year verifiable volunteering experience and one-year professional work experience
How to Apply
To submit your application:
To submit your application:
- Create an account on the http://hrm.aucareers.org/erec portal (instructions and video tutorial available)
- Fill out your personal information and the application form
- Attach the following documents:
- Your updated professional CV (no longer than 3 pages)
- Bio page of your passport (or national ID)
- Copy of your highest completed qualification (no transcripts)
- Attach a letter of recommendation (not older than 2 years) attesting to your leadership qualities
Attach your cover letter. In your cover letter please respond to the following questions:
- Why do you want to become an African Union Youth Volunteer?
- What makes you the best candidate for AU-YVC?
- What skills are you bringing to the AU-YVC and your host organization?