The African Theatre Directors Apprenticeship Program 2020
Silent Voices Uganda is pleased to announce their African theatre directors apprenticeship program for 2020.
Silent Voices Uganda is a not for profit-making all-female founding directors’ performing arts (Theatre /Film/Television/Radio dramas) development and production organization founded with the mission to rekindle and develop the industry in Uganda and East Africa.
The African Theatre Directors Apprenticeship Program
The African Theatre Directors Apprenticeship Program was originally started in 2016 to bridge the theatre practicum gap in Uganda’s limited and limiting performing arts training. After two local editions, Silent Voices Uganda received numerous emails from across the African continent with moving suggestions of how to make the limited resources serve the entire continent. So, they took the program continental in 2018; and now in its 3rd Continental Edition.
The program is open to aspiring and beginner theatre directors who are residents and practitioners on the African continent, the program is a 2-months crash course that trains and mentors 10 theatre directing apprentices in a hands-on directing and related production activities under the auspices of Silent Voices Uganda’s productions. It aims to develop an internationally competitive Africa theatre director under the patronages of Silent Voices Uganda, by the end of the program.
The African theatre directors apprenticeship program is not a college-like training environment but rather a hybrid of college-like training and learning on the job training approaches with more focus on learning on the job approaches. Aspiring and beginner theatre directors are challenged to develop directorial concepts, pitch, collaborate with production designers and other production-related artists and direct scenes from Silent Voices Uganda’s production for the year that showcases to a paying audience, hence keeping the company’s established high-quality production brand.
This training approach not only equips directors in learning how to be a great sole director but also in co-directing projects; yet keeping within the aesthetics of a particular product as is normally the case with TV Series productions that engage several directors in directing different episodes of the show.
The African theatre directors apprenticeship program is open to all aspiring and/or beginner theatre directors based and practising in Africa, who:
- Have a degree or diploma in the Performing Arts and related fields such as Industrial Art, Literature, Media and Mass communication, etcetera OR;
- Have at least 2 years’ experience working in the performing arts (theatre, film, television and storytelling), OR
- Have at least 3 years’ experience working in the performing arts (theatre, film, television and storytelling),
- Are between the ages of 25-45.
- Can comprehend and express themselves in English.
- Can commit full time for the duration of 2 months (June 1st – August 3rd 2020).
- Can travel and live in Kampala, Uganda.
How to Apply
Applicants for the program must submit all of the following materials directly to email@example.com
- Cover letter/ application, (1 page)
- Statement of interest/Motivation Letter (1 page). This is a statement that explains why you would like to be considered for this apprenticeship; what and how you hope to benefit from the apprenticeship; how the apprenticeship fits into your career; and what and how you would contribute to the apprenticeship.
- Biography, no more than 250 words (NOT a CV or Resume)
- Professionally taken (High Quality Portfolio/Creative) Headshot of yourself (300DPI)
Deadline: 13th March 2020