The Africa Transformative Mobility Accelerator 2020
Startups based in Kenya and Uganda have been invited to apply for the Africa Transformative Mobility Accelerator, which will support companies with products and services that address access to sustainable mobility.
The vision of Africa Mobility Initiative is to create a vast network of continental and global transformative mobility enthusiasts, who work together to create sustainable and scalable solutions to mobility challenges in Africa.
Africa Transformative Mobility Accelerator
The increase in urban population in African cities has resulted to diversification and an upsurge in transport needs. Both public transport and private car use have drastically risen resulting to road congestion and air pollution. This nonetheless, provides a huge opportunity to provide transformative urban mobility solutions that can offer more travel options, reduce the travel time, cost and risk, and provide comfort for its users.
The Africa Transformative Mobility Accelerator is aimed at startups addressing access to sustainable mobility in the informal transport sector and working towards the provision of transformative solutions to urban mobility challenges.
The six-month accelerator, which is supported by Shell Foundation and the Transformative Urban Mobility Initiative (TUMI), will offer eight selected startups the opportunity to immerse themselves in the mobility ecosystems in Kenya and Uganda.
Startups will benefit in several ways, including but not limited to;
- Participate in four startup immersion trips in East Africa (Kenya and Uganda for the 2020 cohort)
- Receive coaching and mentorship from local and international mobility and enterprise development experts
- Network with mobility stakeholders, practitioners and enthusiasts in four separate sessions that will be organized in Nairobi and Kampala between May and September 2020
- Attend a series of planned seminars that will be facilitated by subject matter experts in relevant topics such as mobility; value proposition design and problem-solution fit; business modelling & product/service market fit; customer acquisition; financial modelling and investor relations
- Pitch their solutions to a selected and curated pool of investors during the Africa Transformative Mobility Summit in October 2020 in Nairobi, Kenya
- Receive a grant of up to $25,000 for the top startups during the mobility summit in October 2020
To qualify for the accelerator program your startup needs to meet the following eligibility requirements
- Addressing access to sustainable mobility in the informal transport sector and working towards provision of a transformative solution to an urban mobility challenge
- Operating in Kenya and/or Uganda
- Must have a demonstrable product or service (Minimum Viable Product, MVP)
- Be able to present an innovative and scalable solution to a well-articulated challenge
- Preferably not older than 3 years since incorporation date (up for discussion)
- Demonstrate the ability to generate revenue
- Have at least two members of the team
- Have at least one member working full time (or have a clear pathway to this goal)
- Be for-profit
- Be in early Stage/Seed, pre-series A
How to Apply
Interested applicants for the Africa Transformative Mobility Accelerator are encouraged to follow the link below;
Deadline: 31st March 2020