Africa Rising Reporting Workshop for Young Jounalists
Increasingly African business and social leaders are emphasizing that the future of the continent lies in its own hands. But, are we adequately reporting this and giving sufficient media attention to the strengthening entrepreneurial and innovative spirit? Thus the Africa Rising Reporting Workshop by Thomson Reuters Foundation.
While analyzing the challenges facing development, the Africa Rising Reporting Workshop is an intensive 3-day course that explores the opportunities being seized by businesses and individuals in Africa, as well as the costs and benefits of foreign investment.
The Africa Rising Reporting Workshop aims to equip journalists with the skills necessary to cover the economic and business trends. Led by seasoned by Thomson Reuters Foundation’s journalists with deep experience, the course will show you how to make the link between money and people; and where to find new stories and sources.
Requirements for Africa Rising Reporting Workshop
- Should be able to demonstrate a solid understanding of financial journalism.
- Will be able to structure a news story, including writing leads, interviewing sources, and producing an accurate copy.
- Must have a good level of spoken and written English.
- Applicants must be African (East Africa and Southern Africa) full-time journalists or regular contributors to broadcast media organizations in Africa.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate a commitment to a career in journalism in their country, must be a senior journalist with a minimum of three years’ professional experience and have a good level in spoken and written English.
- If you have been on a Thomson Reuters Foundation training programme within the last two years you will not be eligible to apply.
Thomson Reuters Foundation can fund travel expenses and accommodation for participants traveling from outside Nairobi. This arrangement is subject to variation. If you have any questions please email: TRFMedia@thomsonreuters.com
How to Apply
When applying for the Africa Rising Reporting Workshop, you will be asked to upload the following documents – please have these ready:
- 2 relevant work samples (maximum file size 5 MB) – in English if possible. For stories not in English, please include a 250-word English summary of the story.
- A letter from your editor consenting to your participation in the programme
If you have any difficulties applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 23rd February 2018