The AFD Digital Challenge 2018 (Innovation for Women in Africa)
The third edition of the AFD Digital Challenge, Innovation for Women in Africa is dedicated to reducing inequalities between men and women on the African continent. The competition is aimed at startups which offer innovative services that promote gender equality.
The AFD Digital Challenge 2018
Equality between women and men is a central feature of the french Five-Year Plan and constitutes a strategic focus for the AFD. On this basis, AFD is committed to ensuring that 50% of its annual commitments are dedicated to gender equality.
The Innovation for Women in Africa’s interventions are structured around five major issues:
- Ensuring access to basic services;
- Combating violence against women
- Guaranteeing access to training and employment opportunities;
- Ensuring women’s participation in decision-making and project governance;
- Only in the context of CSO projects: Change the representations that underpin gender inequalities.
The goal of the AFD Digital Challenge
Digital technology at the service of equality between women and men. The digital transition is an opportunity for the development of services for social inclusion and is an accelerator for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Equality between women and men and the empowerment of women are at the heart of the international agenda for sustainable development.
Eligible projects for the AFD Digital Challenge are those that take into account the specific constraints and issues of women and facilitate the access to:
- education, vocational training, mentoring and tutoring services.
- health services (including sexual health and reproduction),
- employment and professional opportunities, including women’s participation in sectors that traditionally employ men,
- financial services and other markets
- information about rights and access to judicial services
- mobility and transport
Eligible projects for the AFD Digital Challenge will also be considered projects that contribute to:
- the deconstruction of gender stereotypes (eg media)
- the fight against gender-based violence
- the development of practices that do not discriminate against women (eg in the professional world, at school, etc.).
The challenge will be open to all entrepreneurs who have developed innovative solutions for Africa on this topic.
The AFD Digital Challenge Awards
How to Apply
To apply for the challenge, follow the link below. The following form invites you to present your company and its activity. Please try to be as precise and comprehensive as possible in your answers!
Deadline: 12th November 2018