The Acumen/IKEA Social Entrepreneurship East Africa Accelerator 2020
In partnership with IKEA Social Entrepreneurship, Acumen has packaged the Social Entrepreneurship East Africa Accelerator program designed to support social entrepreneurs to develop a scalable business model.
IKEA Social Entrepreneurship is an initiative within IKEA that’s all about making a positive impact. It works with pioneers and pathfinders who use their business as a way to make everyday life better for those who need it most and strives towards a more equal and inclusive society.
The Acumen/IKEA Social Entrepreneurship East Africa Accelerator
This 19-week program will strengthen the capacity of social enterprises in East Africa to scale and improve the lives of the poor and vulnerable. During the course of the Acumen/IKEA Social Entrepreneurship East Africa Accelerator, teams will learn the essentials of building a business model that can achieve both social impact and profitability. They will have access to case studies from Acumen social enterprises and curriculum materials that package IKEA’s business knowledge.
Social entrepreneurs will also be expected to complete own assignments to apply lessons directly to their business and then join biweekly interactive learning labs to give and receive feedback from their peers. In addition, they will also receive biweekly individualized coaching from IKEA advisors. Expect to spend at least 8 hours per week working on a project. Most of this work can be done on your own schedule. Social entrepreneurs will need 1-2 lead participants from the leadership team of their social enterprise to show up to the learning labs every other week and can have up to 10 people from their social enterprise access all of the curriculum materials. After the program, they can continue to access the online learning materials and peer community.
The Acumen/IKEA Social Entrepreneurship East Africa Accelerator will culminate with an in-person Summit hosted in East Africa where entrepreneurs will attend final workshops and have a chance to network and pitch their venture for a chance to win up to $25k in seed funding.
- Refine and test hypotheses for developing a scalable business model
- Develop a robust social impact and financial strategy
- Gain best practices for forming partnerships to achieve scale
- Learn from practical case studies of other East African social enterprises that have successfully scaled
- Pitch your business to investors and other stakeholders at a final showcase
- Build networks with other entrepreneurs and supporters in East Africa and beyond
- Practical online tutorials
- Dynamic peer community of social entrepreneurs
- Individualized coaching from IKEA advisors and Acumen facilitators
- Final summit to network with investors and supporters
- 6 Peer Learning Labs
- At least 6 sessions with an IKEA advisor
- Video tutorials
- Case studies from East African social enterprises
- Travel to and accommodations for a Final Summit in East Africa
- Certificate from Acumen
- Eligibility to compete for $25k per startup in seed funding
How to Apply
Interested in participating in the Acumen/IKEA Social Entrepreneurship East Africa Accelerator? Fill in the questionnaire in the link below;
Deadline: 14th January 2020